1. High School Diploma or GED is required; Recovery Coach Certification preferred.
2. Familiar with and able to work from a strengths-based, family-centered approach.
3. Strong organizational and communication skills, including the ability to work well with a wide range of families and service
4. Must have a minimum of three years in recovery from substance use addiction.
5. Basic computer proficiency skills are required to record and track activities, contacts and referrals.
6. Valid Driver’s license and use of a vehicle is required.
7. Bi-lingual strongly preferred.
8. Knowledge and familiarity with DCF is preferred.
9. Women with personal experience navigating the court and correctional system are encouraged to apply.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
1. Provide parenting and peer recovery education and support to families with children, prenatal through kindergarten using
evidence based curriculum called Turning Points.
Use a formal goal-setting process to help families articulate family goals for recovery and reentry.
2. Plan and facilitate parent education and support groups: onsite, within the Western Mass Women’s Correctional Facility, All
Inclusive Support Services and in collaboration with community partners.
Work collaboratively with other providers to support evidence-based services to families in recovery. Services may include resources that
support their journey to recovery, rehabilitation, and reunification with children upon release.
Educate parents about child and parent development and utilize resources to increase understanding of age appropriate expectations,
5. positive discipline skills, and connections to networks of support.
6. Engage parents who are post-incarceration in home visiting services using a strength-based approach.
7. Other duties as assigned by the FIRST Steps Together Coordinator
1. Ability to stand or sit for long periods of time during working hours and on special occasions.
2. Excellent auditory, verbal and sensory skills and abilities.
3. Ability to travel to and from homes in the Hamden County area by conventional means including motor vehicle, in addition
to required training sessions as identified by Square One.
Mental/ Visual Demand
1. High attention to detail involving normal mental and visual attention.
1. Professional business office setting.